Bradley Cooper as Stanton “Stan” Carlisle, facing some psychological demons from the looks of it.Screenshot: Searchlight Pictures
Though Searchlight Pictures’ upcoming feature Nightmare Alley from Guillermo del Toro definitely looks and sounds like an otherworldly thriller, del Toro’s insisted from the jump that his latest project is a straight-up classic noir as drenched in ennui as it is (ordinary) thrills to terrify you.
Never one to settle for going the straightforward route, del Toro’s desire for Nightmare Alley to be viewed and engaged with as a proper noir is more than evident in a new featurette, in which he and stars Cate Blanchett, Willem Dafoe, Ron Perlman, and David Strathairn discuss some of the concepts at work in the new project. While much of the featurette’s new glimpses of the movie only further suggest the idea that there might actually be something supernatural to the plot, del Toro himself describes the story as one that’s more focused on mining the darkness that can be found by inverting the American Dream into something more nefarious.
Del Toro could be trying to pull everyone’s legs with this whole “there’s no actual monster-monsters” angle, but there’s a solid chance that he’s actually being quite serious in saying that there’s nothing out of the ordinary lurking in Nightmare Alley’s shadows. Audiences will be able to find out for themselves when Nightmare Alley hits theaters on on December 17.
Read more from io9:
- This New Empire Strikes Back Set Footage Is the Best Thing You’ll See Today
- The Mandalorian’s Pedro Pascal Says He Doesn’t Want to Take His Helmet Off Too Much
- It’ll Cost $6,000 to Star Wars LARP With Your Family at Disney World
- The Many Looks of Ahsoka Tano
- Star Wars: Visions Gets It
- Breaking Down Star Wars: The High Republic—Old Jedi, New Tech, and Fascinating Connections
- A Brief Guide to the Long, Ever-Changing History of How Star Wars Has Portrayed Mandalorians
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge—The 77 Most Fascinating Things We Learned on Our Trip
- The Weird History Behind Darth Vader’s Castle
Wondering where our RSS feed went? You can pick the new up one here.
Save $59Apple AirPods
Turn up the volume
The latest AirPods 3 and Pro are on sale, but Apple's 2nd Generation AirPods—though getting older by the day—bring the heat with a 37% discount.
Buy AirPods 2 for $100 at Amazon